Dinosaurs- Some of the most common animals seen in the land of Kairegorn, there are several families of dinosaurs roaming the land. They are closely related to the dragons.
• Tyrannosaurs- some of the biggest dinosaur predators, they range any where from 5 to 50 feet. There are six species; Tyrannosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Guanlong, Dilong, and Raptorex. They are used as pets, war mounts, guard animals, and beasts of burden. They are quite intelligent and are able to understand Human, Elven, and, Dwarven. Wild individuals are a dangerous problem for farmers.
• Spinosaurs- the rarest and largest dinosaur carnivores, the largest species can be nearly 70 feet long. There are two species; Baryonyx, and Spinosaurus itself. They can understand Dwarven, Elven and Human language and are used as sentries and guard animals. Spinosaurus has the unique ability to absorb and redirect magic with its sail, making it one of the most dangerous of all dinosaurs.
• Carnosaurs- some of the most common large dinosaur predators, they are large, fast and dangerous pack hunters. There are five species; Allosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Tyrannotitan, Acrocanthosaurus, and Megaraptor. All can understand Dwarven, Elven and Human language. They can be differentiated from tyrannosaurs by their longer arms and three fingered hands, as well as their bladelike teeth.
• Ceratosaurs- midsize dinosaur predators. There are four species; Ceratosaurus, Rajasaurus, Majungasaurus (Majungatholus), and Carnotaurus. All can understand Elven and Human language.
• Dromaeosaurs- More common than tyrannosaurs and smarter as well, these predators are dangerous, fast and cunning. They have long arms and legs with vicious claws and can range in size from a foot to twenty-five feet long. They live in packs. There are eight species; Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Pyroraptor, Austroraptor, Microraptor, Sinornithosaurus, and Tsaagan. All are used as war mounts, pets, and guard animals. They can understand Human, Elven, and Dwarven just as easily as tyrannosaurs can.
• Hadrosaurs- The most common dinosaur herbivores, these animals roam in herds that contain hundreds of dinosaurs or in small groups. They can range in size from 20 to 50 feet. There are eight species; Hadrosaurus, Maiasaura, Edmontosaurus, Corythosaurus, Olorotitan, Shantungosaurus, Parasaurolophus, and Tsintaosaurus. All are herded for their meat and hides, and they are excellent beasts of burden. They cannot understand languages.
• Ceratopsians- known commonly as horned dinosaurs, these are used as beasts of burden and as food by many people. There are five species; Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Styracosaurus, and Triceratops. They cannot understand languages.
• Ornithomimids- plant eating or lizard eating dinosaurs about twenty feet long. There are two species; Gallimimus and Struthiomimus. Both are used for food and burden by the three allied humanoid races. They can understand Human, Elven, and Dwarven.
• Segnosaurs & Oviraptors- small to massive plant eaters, the three humanoid races, use them to help scythe crops. They are also bred for eggs which are a common delicacy in Kairegorn. There are six species; Oviraptor, Conchoraptor, Segnosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Falcarius, and Nomingia, all of which can understand Human, Elven, and Dwarven.
• Sauropods- the largest dinosaurs of all, they can be nearly 150 feet long. They are herded for food and as mounts. There are six species; Saltasaurus, Diplodocus (Seismosaurus), Argentinosaurus, Nigersaurus, Alamosaurus, and Brachiosaurus. None can understand languages.
• Ankylosaurs- the tanks of the dinosaur world, living in areas from deserts to the rainforests. They are used as war beasts and guard animals and are highly aggressive if threatened. Five species exist. Gastonia, Tarchia, Edmontonia, Pinacosaurus, and Ankylosaurus. They can understand languages if taught from a young age.
• Birds- not much explanation needed.
Werewolves- large lycanthropic predators, werewolves are humans or elves that change into a wolf. These creatures first originated through a virus spread by a sick wolf. Contrary to popular belief, werewolves can change at will and most are good-natured. They only become aggressive during a full moon. The virus is spread through a bite only. Werewolves are immune to most weapons but can be killed using an arrow or spear made of mistletoe or coated in an overdose of aconite, as they are allergic or have no immunity to it. Silver has no effect on lycanthropes. Many live in the city of Lycansforge. A werewolf’s fur is the color of the hair it has in human form.
Werecrocodiles- Lycanthropes like werewolves, but as crocodiles instead. They share many of the same strengths and weaknesses.
Werebears- like werewolves and werecrocodiles, but as bears instead. They share strengths and weaknesses with the two above.
Vampires- Humans that drink nothing but blood from small animals and humans who are willing to donate. Vampires got their start when a vampire bat carrying a virus bit a person. Vampires are rare because many people fear them for the legend of Lord Alberan Fangblade, a psychopathic vampire who was obsessed with turning vampires into the ruling class of Kairegorn. The Order of the Dragon Riders killed him before he could fully put his plot into action. Vampire viruses can only be spread through a bite when the vampire is feeding during a blue moon. The most famous vampire, King Valinar Lirrna was a kind and noble ruler. His granddaughter Seleena Lirrna is typical of many vampire descendents, who lose the traits of their vampiric forefathers over generations. Sixth generation descendents have no remnants of their ancestors' powers.
Sea reptiles and Sea serpents- the reptiles of the water, the names are a bit of a misnomer, with animals of both groups being found in fresh water as well. They are related to snakes. Sea serpents are larger, growing as large as 300 feet long or more, and are able to attack ships. Mosasaurs like Tylosaurus and Mosasaurus are called this too, but are closer to lizards and snakes.
Megalodon- A large predatory shark that roams the Belemnite Sea. It is a predator of all other large marine animals.
Trolls- Large ape-like sentient reptiles, trolls were once as intelligent as humans, but their intelligence has devolved in the last 2,000 years. The reason is unknown but it may have to do with humanity’s rise to power or the loss of the more intelligent of their kind. The modern trolls, while still intelligent, are about half as smart as their ancestors were, despite being able to talk and reason. Trolls stand about twenty feet tall and have large dinosaur-like feet, hulking arms, a small lizard-like head and a long tail, and heterodont teeth.
Wyverns- Relatives to dragons, these creatures can understand humanoid languages, but cannot reason like their cousins. They are large and pterodactyl-like but have wings and heads similar to a dragon. Deltthion has bred these creatures for his non-dragon rider lieutenants. Outside of his armies, though wyvern racing is a common sport, few domesticate them as they have venomous tails and saliva. Thorinen, the dragon of Kaine Dragonheart, has created anti-venom from his own blood to combat the effects of the wyvern’s venom.
Titanodactyls- the largest flying creatures in Kairegorn, Titanodactyls are filter feeding relatives to the mega-mouth shark. Possessing a shark-like tail, 1,500 foot wingspan, and a huge air-bladder containing helium, this animal is well equipped to fly. It can be tamed to function as a bomber or troop carrier.
Desert Mantis- A giant mantis shrimp, this animal is as large a juvenile dragon. it has two types of raptorial appendages, spearers, and smashers. Dragons have to be careful when fighting these animals, as they can move their claws faster than the eye can follow. The Desert Mantis’ favorite prey is the giant scorpions it shares its environment with though it will take smaller, softer prey. Desert Mantises live only in Kairegorn’s Harthavir Desert.
Dicynodonts- relatively common, these mammal relatives live in areas containing reliable supplies of rain. There are two species; Placerias and Diictodon. Diictodon is a friend to dragons and cleans them of debris and parasites under their scales.
Big Cats- The deadly mammalian predators of Kairegorn, they are either solitary or live in prides. There are seven species; the lion, the tiger, the jaguar, the leopard, Smilodon, the cheetah, and Homotherium. Only the saber-tooth, Smilodon, can understand languages.
Minotaurs- Large, carnivorous ungulate mammals, Minotaurs are strong and powerful. They are ferocious in combat and are used in gladiatorial matches among orcs to execute prisoners and to test the strength and cunning of their strongest warriors, as the Minotaur is short on brainpower. Only dragons kill and eat Minotaurs as food. They are used also as war beasts by the orcs.
Hellwinders- massive, ancient, and deadly, Hellwinders are salamanders measuring more than 1,000 feet long. Capable of burrowing through soil at unnatural speed, they are one of the few creatures that pose a true threat to a dragon, as they are immune to magic. They prefer dark areas like the Dark Chasm, but every few hundred years, one appears on the surface, wreaking havoc before they leave to find a suitable locale. They are extremely rare because of their cannibalistic tendencies.
Salamanders- small amphibians about a foot long related to the Hellwinder. They are loyal companions when tamed and because of their ability to create explosions by igniting air around them, soldiers use them to start fires or as grenades. The salamanders them make their way back to their owners after being thrown to recharge their energy.
Behemophants- giant six-legged reptiles with sharp tusks in their lower jaws and a long tail and nose trunk for gathering food. they are primarily a prey species for dragons, but orcs and some nomadic plains villages of humans use them as beasts of burden. they grow to be 1000 feet long.